- Histologically- or cytologically-confirmed acute myeloid leukemia (AML)
- Relapsed or refractory (AML), after at least 1 prior induction regimen
- Age ≥ 18 years
- Life expectancy > 2 months.
- Eastern Cooperative Oncology Group (ECOG) Performance Status ≤ 2
- Calculated creatinine clearance ≤ 2.0 mg/dL (OR ≥ 30 mL/min for patients with serum
creatinine levels > 2.0 mg/dL)
- Serum total bilirubin ≤ 1.5 X upper limit of normal (ULN)
- Aspartate aminotransferase (AST) ≤ 2.5 X ULN
- Alanine aminotransferase (ALT) ≤ 2.5 X ULN
- Alkaline phosphatase (liver fraction) ≤ 2.5 X ULN
- If male, must agree to use an adequate method of contraception for the duration of the
study and 1 month following coming off study or of study completion
- If female of childbearing potential, must a negative serum pregnancy test within 72
hours prior to receiving the first dose of vorinostat.
- If female, must be one of the following:
- Post-menopausal (free from menses for ≥ 2 years),
- Willing to use 2 adequate barrier methods of contraception
- Agree to abstain from heterosexual activity throughout the study, starting with
- Available at the treating institution for study assessments and procedures for the
duration of the study
- Written informed consent
- Received chemotherapy; radiotherapy; or biological therapy within 30 days (42 days for
nitrosoureas or mitomycin C) prior to initial dosing with study drug(s), or has not
recovered from adverse events due to agents administered more than 30 days earlier,
except for hydroxyurea-related adverse events.
- Currently participating or within 30 days of initial dosing with study drug(s), has
participated in a study with an investigational compound or device
- Receiving any other investigational agents or concomitant radiotherapy, chemotherapy,
- Received a histone deacetylase (HDAC) inhibitor [eg, romidepsin (Depsipeptide),
NSC-630176, MS 275, LAQ-824, belinostat (PXD-101), LBH589, MGCD0103, CRA024781, etc]
within the past 30 days. Patients who have received valproic acid or other compounds
with HDAC inhibitor-like activity, as anti-tumor therapy should not enroll in this
study. Patients who have received such compounds for other indications, eg, valproic
acid for epilepsy, may enroll after a 30-day washout period.
- History of allergic reactions attributed to compounds of similar chemical or biologic
composition to temozolomide; vorinostat; dacarbazine (DTIC-Dome, DIC, imidazole
- History of gastrointestinal disease or significant bowel resection that could
interfere with drug absorption or inability to swallow tablets.
- Uncontrolled intercurrent illness (as defined by the investigators) including, but not
limited to, ongoing or active infection (HIV, Hepatitis B or Hepatitis C), symptomatic
congestive heart failure, unstable angina pectoris, cardiac arrhythmia, or psychiatric
illness/social situations that would limit compliance with study requirements.
- Prior allogeneic stem cell transplantation within 2 months of trial enrollment or
prior radiation up to more than 25% of bone marrow.
- Currently active 2nd malignancy, other than nonmelanoma skin cancer and carcinoma in
situ of the cervix (completed therapy for a prior malignancy, and disease-free from
prior malignancies for >5 years or are considered by their physician to be at less
than 30% risk of relapse is not considered to be an "currently active" malignancy)
- Known psychiatric or substance abuse disorders that would interfere with cooperation
with the requirements of the trial
- Pregnant or breast feeding
- Expecting to conceive or father children within the projected duration of the study.
- Uncontrolled intercurrent illness or circumstances that could limit compliance with
the study, including, but not limited to the following: active infection, acute or
chronic graft versus host disease, symptomatic congestive heart failure, unstable
angina pectoris, cardiac arrhythmia, or psychiatric conditions.
- History or current evidence of any condition, therapy, or lab abnormality that might
confound the results of the study, interfere with the patient's participation for the
full duration of the study, or is not in the best interest of the patient to