1. 18 years of age (no upper age limit)
2. T0-3, N0 to N2c, M0 squamous cell carcinoma of the oropharynx
3. Biopsy proven squamous cell carcinoma that is HPV and/or p16 positive
4. 10 pack-years smoking history or 30 pack-years smoking history WITH 5 years
abstinence from smoking
5. Radiologic confirmation of the absence of hematogenous metastasis within 12 weeks
prior to registration
6. ECOG Performance Status 0-1
7. CBC/differential obtained within 8 weeks prior to registration, with adequate bone
marrow function defined as follows: Platelets 100,000 cells/mm3; Hemoglobin 8.0
8. Adequate renal and hepatic function within 4 weeks prior to registration, defined as
follows: Serum creatinine < 2.0 mg/dl; Total bilirubin < 2 x the institutional ULN;
AST or ALT < 3 x the institutional ULN.
9. Negative serum pregnancy test within 2 weeks prior to registration for women of
10. Women of childbearing potential and male participants who are sexually active must
practice adequate contraception during treatment and for 6 weeks following treatment.
11. Patients must be deemed able to comply with the treatment plan and follow-up
12. Patients must provide study specific informed consent prior to study entry
1. Prior history of radiation therapy to the head and neck
2. Prior history of head and neck cancer.
3. Unresectable disease (e.g. immobile node on physical exam, nodal disease that
radiographgically involves the carotid arteries, nerves)
4. Extensive history of using smokeless tobacco products or marijuana defined as daily
use >/= 5 years.
5. Severe, active co-morbidity, defined as follows: Unstable angina and/or congestive
heart failure requiring hospitalization within the last 6 months; Transmural
myocardial infarction within the last 6 months; Acute bacterial or fungal infection
requiring intravenous antibiotics at the time of registration; Chronic Obstructive
Pulmonary Disease exacerbation or other respiratory illness requiring hospitalization
or precluding study therapy at the time of registration; Hepatic insufficiency
resulting in clinical jaundice and/or coagulation defects (Note, however, coagulation
parameters are not required for entry into this protocol); Pre-existing grade 2
neuropathy; Prior organ transplant.
6. Known HIV positive.
Minimum Eligible Age: 18 Years
Maximum Eligible Age: N/A
Eligible Gender: Both