- Participant must have confirmation of Acute Myeloid Leukemia (AML) by World Health
Organization (WHO) criteria, previously untreated and be ineligible for treatment with
a standard cytarabine and anthracycline induction regimen due age or comorbidities.
- Participant must be >= 18 years of age.
- Participant must have a projected life expectancy of at least 12 weeks.
- Participant must be considered ineligible for induction therapy defined by the
a. >= 75 years of age; or b. >= 18 to 74 years of age with at least one of the
following comorbidities: i. Eastern Cooperative Oncology Group (ECOG) Performance
Status of 2 or 3; ii. Cardiac history of Congestive Heart Failure (CHF) requiring
treatment or Ejection Fraction <= 50% or chronic stable angina; iii. Diffusing
capacity of the Lung for Carbon Monoxide (DLCO) <= 65% or Forced Expiratory Volume in
1 second (FEV1) <= 65%; iv. Creatinine clearance >= 30 mL/min to < 45 ml/min; v.
Moderate hepatic impairment with total bilirubin > 1.5 to <= 3.0 × Upper Limit of
Normal (ULN); vi. Any other comorbidity that the physician judges to be incompatible
with intensive chemotherapy must be reviewed and approved by the AbbVie Therapeutic
Medical Director during screening and before study enrollment.
- Participant must have an ECOG Performance status:
1. 0 to 2 for Participants >= 75 years of age or
2. 0 to 3 for Participants >= 18 to 74 years of age.
- Participant must have adequate renal function as demonstrated by a creatinine >= 30
mL/min; calculated by the Cockroft Gault formula or measured by 24 hours urine
- Participant must have adequate liver function as demonstrated by:
1. aspartate aminotransferase (AST) <= 3.0 x ULN*
2. alanine aminotransferase (ALT) <= 3.0 x ULN*
3. bilirubin <= 1.5 x ULN* * Unless considered to be due to leukemic organ
i. Subjects who are < 75 years of age may have a bilirubin of <= 3.0 x ULN
- Female participants must be either postmenopausal defined as:
1. Age > 55 years with no menses for 12 or more months without an alternative
2. Age ≤ 55 years with no menses for 12 or more months without an alternative
medical cause AND an FSH level > 40 IU/L; or
3. Permanently surgical sterile (bilateral oophorectomy, bilateral salpingectomy or
4. Women of Childbearing Potential (WOCBP) practicing at least one protocol
specified method of birth control, starting at Study Day 1 through at least 90
days after the last dose of study drug.
- Male Participants who are sexually active, must agree, from Study Day 1 through at
least 90 days after the last dose of study drug, to practice the protocol specified
contraception. Male subjects must agree to refrain from sperm donation from initial
study drug administration through at least 90 days after the last dose of study drug.
- Female participants of childbearing potential must have negative results for pregnancy
1. At Screening with a serum sample obtained within 14 days prior to the first study
drug administration, and
2. Prior to dosing with urine sample obtained on Cycle 1 Day 1, if it has been > 7
days since obtaining the serum pregnancy test results.
- Participant must voluntarily sign and date an informed consent, approved by an
Independent Ethics Committee (IEC)/Institutional Review Board (IRB), prior to the
initiation of any screening or study-specific procedures.
- Participant has received treatment with the following:
1. A hypomethylating agent, venetoclax and/or chemo therapeutic agent for
Myelodysplastic syndrome (MDS).
2. Chimeric Antigen Receptor (CAR)-T cell therapy.
3. Experimental therapies for MDS or Acute Myeloid Leukemia (AML).
4. Current participation in another research or observational study.
- Participant has history of myeloproliferative neoplasm (MPN) including myelofibrosis,
essential thrombocythemia, polycythemia vera, chronic myeloid leukemia (CML) with or
without BCR-ABL1 translocation and AML with BCR-ABL1 translocation.
- Participant has the following:
a. Favorable risk cytogenetics such as t(8;21), inv(16) or t(16;16) or t(15;17) as per
the National Comprehensive Cancer Network (NCCN) Guidelines Version 2, 2016 for Acute
- Participant has acute promyelocytic leukemia
- Participant has known active central nervous system (CNS) involvement with AML.
- Participant has known HIV infection (due to potential drug-drug interactions between
antiretroviral medications and venetoclax) HIV testing will be performed at Screening,
only if required per local guidelines or institutional standards.
- Participant is known to be positive for hepatitis B or C infection [HCV Ab indicative
of a previous or current infection; and/or positive HBs Ag or detected sensitivity on
HBV DNA PCR test for HBc Ab and/or HBs Ab positivity] with the exception of those with
an undetectable viral load within 3 months screening. Hepatitis B or C testing is not
- Participant has received strong and/or moderate CYP3A inducers within 7 days prior to
the initiation of study treatment; additional details as described in the protocol.
- Participant has consumed grapefruit, grapefruit products, Seville oranges (including
marmalade containing Seville oranges) or Starfruit within 3 days prior to the
initiation of study treatment.
- Participant has a cardiovascular disability status of New York Heart Association Class
> 2. Class 2 is defined as cardiac disease in which patients are comfortable at rest
but ordinary physical activity results in fatigue, palpitations, dyspnea, or anginal
- Participant has chronic respiratory disease that requires continuous oxygen, or
significant history of renal, neurologic, psychiatric, endocrinologic, metabolic,
immunologic, hepatic, cardiovascular disease, any other medical condition or known
hypersensitivity to any of the study medications including excipients of azacitidine
that in the opinion of the investigator would adversely affect his/her participating
in this study.
- Participant has a malabsorption syndrome or other condition that precludes enteral
route of administration.
- Participant exhibits evidence of other clinically significant uncontrolled systemic
infection requiring therapy (viral, bacterial or fungal).
- Participant has a history of other malignancies within 2 years prior to study entry,
with the exception of:
1. Adequately treated in situ carcinoma of the cervix uteri or carcinoma in situ of
2. Basal cell carcinoma of the skin or localized squamous cell carcinoma of the
3. Previous malignancy confined and surgically resected (or treated with other
modalities) with curative intent; requires discussion with TA MD.
- Participant has a white blood cell count > 25 × 10^9/L. (Hydroxyurea or leukapheresis
are permitted to meet this criterion.)