SJELIOT is a phase 1 trial that aims to explore the combination of prexasertib with
established DNA-damaging agents used in medulloblastoma to evaluate tolerance and
pharmacokinetics in recurrent or refractory disease. Additionally, a small expansion cohort
will be incorporated into the trial at the combination MTD/RP2D (maximum tolerated
dose/recommended phase two dose) to detect a preliminary efficacy signal.
Stratum A: Prexasertib and Cyclophosphamide
- To determine the safety and tolerability and estimate the maximum tolerated dose
(MTD)/recommended phase 2 dose (RP2D) of combination treatment with prexasertib and
cyclophosphamide in participants with recurrent/refractory Group 3 and Group 4
medulloblastoma and recurrent/refractory sonic hedgehog (SHH) medulloblastoma.
- To characterize the pharmacokinetics of prexasertib in combination with
- To estimate the rate and duration of objective response and progression free survival
(PFS) associated with prexasertib and cyclophosphamide treatment in this patient
- To characterize the pharmacokinetics of cyclophosphamide and metabolites.
Stratum B: Prexasertib and Gemcitabine
- To determine the safety and tolerability and estimate the MTD/RP2D of combination
treatment with prexasertib and gemcitabine in participants with recurrent/refractory
Group 3 and Group 4 medulloblastoma.
- To characterize the pharmacokinetics of prexasertib in combination with gemcitabine.
- To estimate the rate and duration of objective response and PFS associated with
prexasertib and gemcitabine treatment in this patient population.
- To characterize the pharmacokinetics of gemcitabine and gemcitabine triphosphate (only
at St. Jude Children's Research Hospital).
Participants will be stratified by the biological characteristics of their tumor to one of
two treatment strata:
- Combination Treatment: prexasertib and cyclophosphamide
- Patient population: Participants with recurrent/refractory Group 3 and Group 4 (G3/G4)
medulloblastoma, recurrent/refractory sonic hedgehog (SHH) medulloblastoma and
medulloblastoma participants with Indeterminate molecular subgroup
- Combination Treatment: prexasertib and gemcitabine
- Patient population: Participants with recurrent/refractory Group 3 and Group 4
Participants with a diagnosis of G3/G4 medulloblastoma who qualify for both treatment strata
will be assigned per slot availability as well as institutional PI preference. If slots are
available in both stratum A and stratum B, patients will be assigned to the dose level
The Rolling 6 design will be used separately in each stratum to estimate the maximum
tolerated dose (MTD) or recommended phase two dose (RP2D). Therapy will be administered in
cycles of 28 days and may be continued for up to 24 months (26 cycles) in the absence of
disease progression or unacceptable toxicity.
Participants will receive doublet therapy in cycles of 28 days. The dose-limiting toxicity
(DLT)-evaluation period will consist of the first cycle until day 1 criteria of cycle 2 has
been met. Participants will be evaluated at least once a week during the DLT-evaluation
period and at regular intervals thereafter. Standard tests (i.e. physical exams, blood tests,
and disease evaluations) will be undertaken at regular intervals. Research-associated
evaluations (i.e. pharmacokinetic studies, etc.) will also be carried out during therapy.
Treatment may be continued for up to 2 years in the absence of disease progression or
Inclusion Criteria: Screening Phase
- Participants with recurrent, refractory, or progressive medulloblastoma.
- Age ≥ 1 year and < 25 years at the time of screening.
- Participants and/or guardian can understand and is willing to sign a written informed
consent document according to institutional guidelines.
Exclusion Criteria: Screening Phase
- Previous exposure to any CHK1 inhibitor.
- Participants with a history of clinically significant, uncontrolled heart disease
and/or repolarization abnormalities.
- Participants with any history of QTc prolongation (i.e. QTc interval of > 480 msec).
Inclusion Criteria: Strata A and B
- Participant must be ≥1 year and <25 years of age at time of screening.
- Participant must have recurrent, progressive or refractory Group 3/Group 4 or SHH
medulloblastoma (per central pathology confirmation of primary tissue and/or relapsed
tissue). Central pathology review previously completed at St. Jude Children's Research
Hospital using equivalent methods can be used for enrollment. Note: Group 3/Group 4
may be referred to as Non-WNT Non-SHH (NWNS) in pathology reports. Medulloblastoma
patients with indeterminate molecular subgroup after central pathology review are
eligible for enrollment on stratum A.
- Participant must have measurable or evaluable disease as defined in the protocol.
- Participant must have received their last dose of myelosuppressive anticancer
chemotherapy at least 3 weeks prior to study enrollment.
- Participants must have had their last fraction of radiation (including CSI) at least 4
weeks prior to study enrollment. Participants who received radiation therapy for
palliation must have had their last fraction of radiation at least 2 weeks prior to
-- Note: Participants must have relapsed with recurrent, progressive or refractory
disease after any prior radiation therapy that is not considered palliative.
Palliative radiation therapy is defined as local small port RT to alleviate and/or
palliate symptoms. (CSI, whole brain RT, large field/port RT, or large field/port
multilevel spinal RT will not be considered palliative at any dose.)
- Participant who are receiving corticosteroids must be on a stable or decreasing dose
for at least 1 week prior to enrollment with no plans for escalation.
- Participant must have a Lansky (≤ 16 years) or Karnofsky (> 16 years) performance
score of ≥50 and, in the opinion of the investigator, a minimum life expectancy of at
least 6 weeks.
-- Note: Participants who are unable to walk because of paralysis, but who are up in a
wheelchair, will be considered ambulatory for the purpose of assessing the performance
- Participant must have adequate bone marrow and organ function as defined as:
- ANC ≥ 1.0 x 10^9/L without growth factor support within 7 days
- Platelet count ≥ 75x 10^9/L without support of a platelet transfusion within 7
- Hemoglobin ≥8.0 g/dL without support of a blood transfusion within 7 days
- Potassium, total calcium (corrected for serum albumin), magnesium, sodium and
phosphorus within institutional normal limits or corrected to within normal
limits with supplements before first dose of study medication
- Serum creatinine ≤ the maximum serum creatinine based on age/gender: Age: 1 to <
2 years; maximum serum creatinine (mg/dL): 0.6 (male, female); Age: 2 to < 6
years; maximum serum creatinine (mg/dL): 0.8 (male, female); Age: 6 to < 10
years; maximum serum creatinine (mg/dL): 1 (male, female); Age: 10 to < 13 years;
maximum serum creatinine (mg/dL): 1.2 (male, female); Age: 13 to < 16 years;
maximum serum creatinine (mg/dL): 1.5 (male), 1.4 (female); Age :≥ 16 years;
maximum serum creatinine (mg/dL): 1.7 (male), 1.4 (female).
- Alanine aminotransferase (ALT) and aspartate aminotransferase (AST) ≤ 2.5 x ULN.
For the purposes of this study the ULN of ALT and AST is 45 U/L.
- Total bilirubin ≤ ULN; or if > ULN then direct bilirubin ≤ 1.5 x ULN
- Female participants of childbearing age must have a negative pregnancy test at the
time of enrollment.
- Participants of childbearing or child fathering potential must be willing to use
medically acceptable form of birth control during treatment and for 16 weeks after
- Participants and/or guardian have the ability to understand and the willingness to
sign a written informed consent document according to institutional guidelines.
Exclusion Criteria: Strata A and B
- Participant who is receiving any other investigational agents.
- Participants with other clinically significant medical disorders (i.e. serious
infections or significant cardiac, pulmonary, hepatic, psychiatric, or other organ
dysfunction) that could compromise their ability to tolerate protocol therapy or would
interfere with the study procedures or results.
- Participant with a history of clinically significant, uncontrolled heart disease
and/or repolarization abnormalities as documented by a standard 12-lead ECG.
- Shortening fraction of <27% by ECHO or ejection fraction of <50% by gated radionuclide
- Prior history of QTc prolongation or QTc interval of > 480 msec.
- Female participants who are breastfeeding a child.
- Participants are excluded if unable to comply with guidelines listed in appendix I.