Subjects enrolled in the study must meet all of the following inclusion criteria to be
1. Histopathologically-confirmed diagnosis of malignant melanoma that is metastatic or
unresectable at Screening.
2. Known BRAF mutation status; if BRAF V600 mutation positive, must have had prior
treatment with a local Health Authority approved BRAF inhibitor, with or without
mitogen-activated protein kinase inhibitor.
3. Refractory to PD-1 blockade either as monotherapy or in combination with other
therapies, as defined by the following criteria:
1. Received treatment with a Food and Drug Administration approved PD-1 blocking
antibody for 12 weeks or longer.
2. Have PD (according to RECIST v1.1) within 12 weeks of the last dose of a PD-1
blocking antibody, either as monotherapy or in combination with other agents.
Evidence of confirmed PD must be established by BICR with an assessment at least 4
weeks after the initial date of PD. The second assessment may serve as the Baseline
for this study if completed within 30 days prior to the start of study treatment.
4. Measurable disease, as defined by RECIST v1.1 and all of the following:
1. At least 1 accessible lesion amenable to repeated IT injection.
2. One or more measurable lesions at least 1 cm in diameter that are not intended
for CMP 001 injection and can be followed as target lesions per RECIST v1.1.
3. Documented disease progression in any lesion that was previously radiated in
order to serve as a target lesion.
5. Able to provide tissue from a core or excisional biopsy (fine needle aspirate is not
sufficient). A newly obtained biopsy (within 90 days before the start of study
treatment) is preferred but an archival sample is acceptable if no intervening therapy
Note: for tissue sampling details, please refer to the laboratory manual.
6. Adequate organ function based on most recent laboratory values within 3 weeks before
first dose of study treatment on Week 1 Day 1 (W1D1):
1. Bone marrow function:
- neutrophil count ≥ 1500/mm3
- platelet count ≥ 100,000/mm3
- hemoglobin concentration ≥ 9 g/dL
- white blood cells ≥ 2000/mm3
2. Liver function:
- total bilirubin ≤ 1.5 times the upper limit of normal (ULN) with the
following exception: patients with Gilbert Disease total serum bilirubin ≤ 3
- aspartate aminotransferase and alanine aminotransferase ≤ 3 times the ULN
3. Lactate dehydrogenase ≤ 2 times the ULN
4. Renal function: estimated (Cockcroft-Gault) or measured creatinine clearance ≥ 30
- International normalized ratio or prothrombin time (PT) ≤ 1.5 times ULN,
unless subject is receiving anticoagulant therapy, as long as PT or partial
thromboplastin time (PTT) is within therapeutic range of intended use of
- Activated partial thromboplastin time or PTT ≤ 1.5 times ULN, unless subject
is receiving anticoagulant therapy, as long as PT or PTT is within
therapeutic range of intended use of anticoagulants
7. Age ≥ 18 years at time of consent.
8. Eastern Cooperative Oncology Group Performance Status of 0 to 1 at Screening.
9. Capable of understanding and complying with protocol requirements.
10. Women of childbearing potential must have negative serum pregnancy test prior to
dosing at W1D1 and be willing to use an adequate method of contraception from the time
of consent until at least 150 days after last dose of study treatment.
11. Able and willing to provide written informed consent and to follow study instructions.
Subjects unable to provide written informed consent on their own behalf will not be
eligible for the study.
Subjects presenting with any of the following will not qualify for entry into the study:
1. Uveal, acral, or mucosal melanoma.
2. Received radiation therapy (or other nonsystemic therapy) within 2 weeks before first
dose of study treatment on W1D1. Patients should have recovered (ie, Grade ≤1 or at
baseline) from radiation-related toxicities.
3. Treatment with complementary medications (eg, herbal supplements or traditional
Chinese medicines) to treat the disease under study within 2 weeks prior to start of
study treatment. Refer to Section 4.4. for prohibited therapies.
4. Requires systemic pharmacologic doses of corticosteroids greater than the equivalent
of 10 mg/day prednisone within 30 days before first dose of study treatment on W1D1.
1. Subjects who are currently receiving steroids at a prednisone-equivalent dose of
≤ 10 mg/day do not need to discontinue steroids prior to enrollment.
2. Replacement doses, topical, ophthalmologic, and inhalational steroids are
5. History of CTCAE v5.0 Grade 4 immune-related AE due to prior PD-1 blocking antibody.
6. Not fully recovered from AEs (to Grade 1 or less [per CTCAE v5.0], with the exception
of persistent alopecia, hypothyroidism, and adrenal insufficiency) due to prior
7. Active pneumonitis, history of noninfectious pneumonitis that required steroids, or
history of interstitial lung disease.
8. Severe uncontrolled cardiac disease within 6 months of Screening, including but not
limited to poorly controlled hypertension, unstable angina, myocardial infarction,
congestive heart failure (New York Heart Association Class II or greater),
pericarditis within the previous 6 months, cerebrovascular accident, or implanted or
continuous use of a pacemaker or defibrillator.
9. Known history of immunodeficiency.
10. Known additional malignancy that is progressing or required active treatment within
the past 3 years. Exceptions include basal cell carcinoma of the skin, squamous cell
carcinoma of the skin that has undergone potentially curative therapy, curatively
treated localized prostate cancer with prostate-specific antigen level below 4.0
ng/mL, in situ cervical cancer on biopsy or a squamous intraepithelial lesion on
Papanicolaou smear, and thyroid cancer (except anaplastic), and adjuvant hormonal
therapy for breast cancer > 3 years from curative-intent surgical resection.
11. Active autoimmune disease that has required systemic treatment in past 2 years;
replacement therapy is not considered a form of systemic treatment.
12. Untreated, symptomatic, or enlarging central nervous system metastases or
carcinomatous meningitis (including leptomeningeal metastases from solid tumors).
13. Prior allogenic tissue/solid organ transplant.
14. Active infection requiring systemic therapy.
15. Known or suspected active infection with severe acute respiratory syndrome coronavirus
16. Known or suspected infection with human immunodeficiency virus, hepatitis B virus, or
hepatitis C virus (testing is not required unless suspected).
17. Received a live virus/attenuated vaccination within 30 days before first dose of study
treatment on W1D1.
18. Received blood products (including platelets or red blood cells) or colony stimulating
factors (including granulocyte colony stimulating factor, granulocyte/macrophage
colony stimulating factor, or recombinant erythropoietin) within 30 days before the
start of Screening.
19. History of allergy or hypersensitivity to nivolumab and/or any of its excipients.
20. Any concurrent uncontrolled illness, including mental illness or substance abuse,
which in the opinion of the Investigator would make the subject unable to cooperate or
participate in the study.
21. Participation in another clinical study of an investigational anticancer therapy or
device within 30 days before first dose of study treatment on W1D1. Note:
Participation in the follow-up phase (receiving no study treatment) of a prior study
22. Requires prohibited treatment (ie, non-protocol specified anticancer pharmacotherapy,
surgery, or radiotherapy) for treatment of malignant tumor.
23. Has a life expectancy of less than 3 months and/or has rapidly progressing disease
(eg, tumor bleeding, uncontrolled tumor pain) in the opinion of the treating
24. Received previous CMP-001 treatment.
25. Pregnant or breastfeeding or expecting to conceive or donate eggs within the projected
duration of the study, from the time of consent until at least 150 days after last
dose of study treatment for women.